S&S replacing Hammer Assemblies with new

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 21:26:47 +0100

On 17-jan-04, at 19:55, Farrell wrote:

> "It means getting a new hammer that weighs exactly as much as the=20
> original."
> =A0
> And what was the evaluation process that led you to the conclusion=20
> that the original weight was optimal? And was the original weight=20
> optimal for the piano when it was new? Would the original hammer=20
> weight and hammer felt density be optimal for the 90 year old piano?=20=

> Are all the properties of the 90 year old compression crowned=20
> soundboard exactly the same as they were when it was new?
> =A0
> I'm not saying that hammers with characteristics of the originals=20
> won't be the best thing for it, but I also think that a hammer with=20
> some different characteristics=A0it is a legitimate consideration =
given=20
> that the rest of the piano is not likely to be just as it was when=20
> new.
> =A0
> Terry Farrell

Hi Terry,

If we just stick to the original hammers of an older Steinway grand=20
piano, it would seem reasonable to me that bass hammers number 1 will=20
have been used the least of all the other hammers in that very same=20
instrument. Furthermore, the nr 1 bass hammer is usually a fairly=20
logical indication of what we might expect of the rest of the hammer=20
set.
It would also seem reasonable to assume that this very same hammer nr 1=20=

will have been filed at least once and that we may assume that these=20
older hammers will have lost most of their initial moisture and that=20
their inner texture too has changed over the decennia. It is just like=20=

wood, it becomes brittle, is very dry, looses some atoms and in the=20
bitter end will fall apart
As the weight of a hammer is mostly determined by the mass of the felt=20=

and not by the wood, I would assume that it is very well possible that=20=

the weight of the older nr 1 hammer will have been diminished by 1=20
gram, due to the damage caused by playing, hammer filing, and the=20
natural aging of the wool.
1 gram is more than we think because it equals about 5 grams in the=20
front.
So if we weigh this old number 1 bass hammer and we subtract 1 gram, I=20=

personally believe that you come very close to the original hammer=20
weight.
Now if you for instance take an old Bechstein grand, and you play on=20
it, you will notice that it usually feels very very light, somewhere=20
around 40-45 grams.
If you weight hammer nr 1 you may come to the conclusion that the=20
weight is around 8-10 grams.
If I now order a Renner Bechstein set, I always make an exact outline=20
drawing of the original hammers (first and last hammer of bass section,=20=

and first and last hammer of treble section) and I also supply the=20
factory with the necessary data like drilling and angle measure.
When I get an exact copy of the hammers I ordered, I weigh the=20
difference between the original hammer nr 1 and the new hammer nr 1,=20
and the difference is usual more than 2 grams ! hello!
I know that the original wood, used for older Hamburg Steinways was a=20
little lighter than the wood they use now. If we take a close look at=20
original Hamburg Steinway hammers (the ones with the yellow under felt=20=

) we notice that the width of those hammers usually is =B1 10 mm at the=20=

top and about 5-6 mm down at the tail.
Those hammers weighed almost nothing and it must have taken hours of=20
intense and concentrated manual labor to prepare just one set for a=20
grand piano.
I have tried it myself with so called light weight Steinway copies from=20=

either Abel or Renner.
The Abels were always the heavier ones, even after painstakingly taking=20=

off excess weight.
I know why : it is because of the Abel VFG felt which is more dense=20
than the Wurzen felt used by Renner and it also has to do with the=20
process of making felt for piano hammers. (For that very same reason=20
Abel hammers will also always give a louder tone and require much more=20=

needling)
The Wurzen felt is more open, less dense, because they do not allow it=20=

to 'felt' to the max in the Wurzen factory.
For that reason the Wurzen felt hammers weigh less, but even so, the=20
new hammers always weigh a lot more than the original ones, unless you=20=

ask a factory to make them less heavy.

Now if we go back to the original issue of replacing  a hammer set, it=20=

becomes obvious that we have to take great care in choosing 'the right'=20=

hammer from the right hammer maker.

P.S.
Again.. I am not talking about American hammers or American=20
instruments, but only about my experiences with Hamburg Steinway hammer=20=

changes.

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek