"Rubber Band Sound"

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 17:11:23 -0800

Ron Asked: "Did you check the casters?"

Ron N

Yes. They had the leg "collars" rattling. I fixed that by shimming. Don't
think that the casters are in the picture, as the piano is sitting on deep
pile/padded carpet. Did pull piano out from wall and checked the wall,
soundboard, ribs and bridges. The possibility of the Muffler rail spring was
mentioned by someone else. Also the strut sound suggestion could also be it.
I'll use any suggestions, I haven't alread tried. The piano owner is pretty
emphatic and downright beligerant, to some degree. Single Mom that spent a
lot a bucks and wants it perfect for her little darlin'.<G> Actually nice
person. This is not my client, as I was called in to do some voicing for the
tech. Kind of a hands on class, sort of thing. Was not apprised of the
"Rubber Band Sound" until after the voicing was complete. (sigh!) The tech
is going to contact Don Mannino for suggestions, as well.
Thanks for all the suggestions, etc. 'Preciate it.

Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares Are I