S&S replacing Hammer Assemblies with new

Sun, 18 Jan 2004 18:06:03 -0000

Hello List
Someone simply HAS to ask what would appear to be "dumb" questions - but if
you don't know what is being discussed and how pertinent it is .... then
dumb or not it simply has to be asked. Here are my "dumb" questions:
Ed Foote says: "Once I have found my bore distance..."
So here's my first dumb question: What is "bore distance" and how/where is
it measured? I can hazzard a guess he's talking about the distance from the
nose of the hammer to the dead-centre of the shank bore...?
Ed Foote also says: "I hang the end section hammers at 130 mm"
Now for the second dumb question: 130mm from where to where? This really
floors me. 130mm gets me from anyplace to no-where...!
There are a lot of dumb things going on in the piano-tech business - one of
the most glaring examples, in my opinion, is Steinway GLUING on the damper
flanges to the Damper Flange Rail. This is the situation in the S&S school
Model "A" which started off this thread.
Regards from the darkest corner of the Sussex Downlands
Michael G (UK)