Making Tuning Pins Looser - was CA glue for pins

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Sun, 18 Jan 2004 21:09:47 -0600

I just put 4/0 pins in an old upright and some of them were pretty
tight, at first. I was very glad I still had my cheap old "student"
tuning hammer with the fixed (i.e., won't come loose) tip.

I always wondered if I should just get rid of that old wimpy
too-flexible thing, now I keep it with the rest of my stringing tools!

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph Garrett [mailto:joegarrett@earthlink.net]
Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2004 1:30 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Making Tuning Pins Looser - was CA glue for pins

Kurt asked: ".  I was wondering, however, if I wanted (for who knows
what reason) to loosen the pins what solution would I inject?"

Kurt,
The short answer: None! The longer one: Loosen the pin, take the coil
off of the pin back the pin out 2-3 turns, turn pin back in to original
position and replace the coil, tune. That will definitely loosen a
pin!<G>

Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police