SAT batteries 9 volt?

Richard Strang rstrang@pa.inter.net
Mon, 19 Jan 2004 14:37:23 -0500

Do yourselve a big favor and install NiMH instead of NiCads. They do not
have any of the problems Nicads have, are lighter, have almost twice the
capacity, and can use the same trickle charger. I replaced the Nicads that
were in my SAT2 with NiMH and they work great. I bought a plastic battery
holder that holds 4 batteries, and installed that in the tuner.

Be careful about deep discharging Nicads. All the batteries in the pack are
not identical in nature. If  one battery goes completely dead before the
others, and you keep discharging it, it will be repolarized and damaged
permanently.

NiMHs are your best bet.

Richard

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Paul McCloud
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2004 11:40 AM
To: 'Pianotech'
Subject: RE: SAT batteries 9 volt?

Diane:
	I have replaced my SAT I batteries with a 6 volt battery pack
(NiCads) which is an exact replacement for the battery pack that
Inventronics installed many years ago.  Originally, there was a sealed
lead-acid battery, and the nicads were installed by them when the
original battery went bad.  I don't know if they changed the charging
circuit at that time, but I suspect that it was.
	Lately, I removed the internal battery pack and now use an
external battery pack which I velcro'd to the back of the unit.  I
change the individual batteries and charge them in a separate charger.
This way, if one battery goes bad, I don't have to replace the whole
battery pack.  Maybe this is overkill, but I got tired of replacing the
battery pack.
	Nicad batteries need to be deep cycled.  They should be
discharged as far as possible, and this way they will be conditioned to
hold a long charge.  When we recharge the internal batteries of the SAT,
they may not be discharged much, so they get used to having a short use
before recharging.  Then if we try to use the SAT over a longer time,
the batteries discharge more quickly.  I think you know what I mean.
The low battery indication circuit on the SAT doesn't necessarily give
the deepest cycle.  It only tells us that the battery voltage is
insufficient to power the unit.  When I remove the batteries to recharge
them in my charger, they will still run my AA flashlight for a good
while.  This is after the low battery indicator has shown the need to
charge them, and after the unit has shut down.
	The circuits in the SAT can run on 9 volts, or the 6 volts that
the regular batteries supply.  I've seen 9 volt batteries installed on
the back of a SAT so that when your batteries are dead, you just put the
9 volt in there, and it will get you through the day until you can
charge them again.  Many electronic devices will run on a range of
voltages.  Using 9 volts will work, but it takes more room, and more
batteries, to get there.  And there's not a whole lot of room inside the
SAT.
	I hope this helps.
	Paul McCloud