Hammer butt spring

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Mon, 19 Jan 2004 17:18:06 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Kurt Eichenbach
Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2004 11:12 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Hammer butt spring

>From the Schaff catalog I think you might be able to use item No. 539.
In my catalog that's on page 107.

Kurt Eichenbach

On Sunday, January 18, 2004, at 09:52 PM, Piannerman@aol.com wrote:

Dear People,
    Have a Grinnell console short action piano that has a couple of
hammer butt springs broken.  It's the type of spring where one end is
inserted somehow up into the damper rest rail kind of underneath the
felt where you can't really see how it's attached.  (The other end of
course fits into the groove of the hammer butt to assist in return.)
     It looks to me like the rail may have to be taken out to insert the
new springs but I was hoping to avoid that if possible.  I would
certainly appreciate any comments from anyone that has some firsthand
knowledge of this repair.  Thanks in advance.
Charles Cron

Charles,

            The above reply by Kurt will work, but in my experience, if
three are broken more will follow. This repair has been discussed
recently---search the archives.

Replacing all the springs is not difficult. I posted a method and Joe
Garrett posted a better one as I recall. If you are going to use the
repair springs, I would toss that little screw away and CA glue the
brass flange thingee to the rail .When they all start breaking and you
do the complete job, the repair spring can be popped off with ease.

            Tom Driscoll