Klunker Grand

Topperpiano@aol.com Topperpiano@aol.com
Mon, 19 Jan 2004 20:46:20 EST

Ron,
Your theater comment calls to mind one of my career highs.  When working for
a southern school that had a ballet department, they called me to ask if I
could put one of the concert pianos in the pit.  The normal access to the pit
with a 9 ft was down a flight of steps between sections of seats and a short 3 ft
drop into the pit.  The department however was mounting a bible belt version
of the Rite of Spring and had had some fancy schmanzy New York designer who
decided that ramps from the stage into the audience (fallopian tubes) which
terminated into platforms (ovaries) needed to cover the steps which blocked the
access to the pit.  "Wouldn't it be OK just to push it over the lip of the stage
[8 ft drop) and catch it," the very stupid student stage manager asked? After
a heated conversation in which I firmly refused to allow such an attempt, I
got to scream, "Well, if you hadn't put your fallopian tubes in here first,
etc.," ....!!!!!!!  It truly made up for many droll practice room tunings.