tapered tuning pins

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 01:01:37 -0500

List,

            I=92m replacing bass strings on an older   5=9210=94 Henry F
Miller grand. The existing pins are tapered --.282 at the top of the
threads down to .270 @ the bottom. 2 =BD =93long. and reasonably tight.
Based on past experience I would use one size larger pin (usually 3/0 )
and expect good tunability.=20

            I usually use Denro blued (.286) but I don=92t remember ever
repining a block that had tapered pins.

Should I chase the hole with a pin block drill bit and if so what might
the relationship between drill bit size and tuning pin diameter? I=92m a
bit hesitant to do this as I was advised against reaming holes in old
blocks by a manufactures tech rep and past journal editor     =20

I see Diamond brand offered by Pianotek has a 3 =BD .288 diameter pin.I =
=91m
considering using Diamond 3/0 =91s and having the 3 =BD =91s to use if
necessary

=20

I=92m all for experimenting here and will report my results, but any
advice on this will be appreciated.

            Tom Driscoll

           =20

P.S. Please refrain from the =93why don=92t you replace the block =
=93argument.
The piano plays well, stays in tune within reason, and will benefit from
new bass strings in a home where the budget cannot consider a rebuild.

=20

           =20