square grand or is it clavichord?

Wed, 21 Jan 2004 05:26:08 -0600

At 05:34 1/21/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>             What is the difference between a square grand and a
> clavichord? I went to tune my first one and the customer called it a
> square grand, however to me, it looked like a late clavichord.
>
>rookie,
>Julia Gottchall,
>Reading PA

The confusion probably lies in that the string/case orientation is the
same, with a rectangular case/keyboard on long side/strings left to right.

A square has hammers and some kind action allowing let off.

A clavichord has what looks like old flat nails (called tangents) mounted
on the ends of plain keysticks.  These tangents strike the strings at a
carefully determined point. The tangent acts both as excitation device and
determinant of vibrating length.  ONe side of where it strikes is a damping
cloth and the other is the bridge. The sound lasts only as long as the
tangent is in contact with the string. An tremulant effect called bebung is
possible with the clavichord since you are in direct and constant contact
with the string and uneven pressure on the key will produce uneven pitch of
the string.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician
Vox-(563)-387-1204 // Fax (563)-387-1076

- Education is what you get from reading the small print. Experience is
what you get from not reading it.