square grand or clavichord

Wed, 21 Jan 2004 16:38:22 -0000

Hello RicB and Liszt
Have several Clavichords and Square Pianos on my rounds. Tuning either =
presents the same problems as tuning any keyboard - just get it in tune! =
:-)
I use a very small rubber wedge, a "T" hammer and (for the middle 8ve. =
only) a CTS tuner. Have to be more careful in the Clavicord to apply the =
same strike to every key because there's "nothing between you and it" =
whereas in the Square Piano you have the intermediary of an escapement =
action (however simple). The only time-consuming thing is ensuring you =
are turning the correct tuning pin...! Never try to "set" the pin. Just =
turn it!
Regards from the Downlands of Sussex
Michael G (UK)