Coleman pure 5ths temperament

Andrew & Rebeca Anderson anrebe@zianet.com
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 18:01:08 -0700

Michael,
I've only played M&Hs in showrooms.  I personally like them better the most
Steinways I encounter.  I don't know if you've encountered the saying,
"That Steinway coffin sound."  I would describe the M&H as not nasal
sounding like the S&S.  It reminded me of the full bell-like tones of the
old Knabe grand I grew up with.  It is more melodic than the old Knabe
which was in great need of a rebuild.

I have my wife's Wurlizter/Samick singing now into its third year.  We
started trying out the well temperaments and they sing more on this piano
then the bland, equally dissonant ET does.  It has been suggested to me
that well-temperaments on nasty little pianos might improve them
audibly.  I haven't done that un-announced on a customer's piano yet, but...;-)

Regards from the unusually cloudy and mild New Mexico,
Andrew