Rebuiling uprights

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 10:45:47 EST

 List
Terrys  post on bridge capping sparked this post.
    Although our usual rebuild is some form of grand piano this year I've had
a small run of people willing to rebuild solid post Victorian uprights. No
boards but full sets of bridge caps, strings, key&action work & hand rubbed
lacquer refinishing of the cases. These piano are well preserved Calif. pianos
with boards still offering musical potential & of course the never to be seen
again Victorian beauty.
  These pianos are by brand name,Schaaf bros. 1903, Mason& Hamlin 1908.
Baldwin 1885,(one of the first) & A Steinway k 1911. This is really weird. We don't
usually do more than one per year. My question, is this a trend anyone else
is seeing?
   My criteria for agreeing to take on these projects is that the boards must
still sing & not seriously cracked up & that basically a very good musical &
aesthetic outcome can be assured. If the piano is a train wreck I don't take
the job & I tell them the truth. Nothing marginal. been there done that & it's
no fun.
  It's true (at least in Ca) that perhaps one in twenty uprights is worth
doing in the musical sense but none except the Steinway is worth doing in the
financial value sense. Make cents? Any way, despite my disclaimer statements to
the client (prior to rebuilding) as to its Monetary worth after rebuilding,
which is that it wouldn't probably retail for half what they had in it they still
choose to do it. The reasons are: Family piano, we liked the old look and
sound. It sound better than the new pianos. The case is gorgeous. They'll never
make these again etc.
  That's it. I guess there's folks with money & a different sat of priorities
out there willing to do this. Oh yeah I love these  Pianos man.

Dale Erwin
Erwins Piano Restorations
4721 Parker Rd, Modesto, Ca. 95357
erwinspiano@aol.com