Rebuilding Uprights Consensus

D.L. Bullock dlbullock@att.net
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 10:48:09 -0600

Well it seems to be a consensus that the old vintage uprights are the
greatest thing going.  Someone must like full sized uprights or they would
not pay $15K to $45K for new ones that size.  One reason the old uprights
have a bad name is the piano salesmen who have brainwashed the public to
think they are no longer good pianos.  Another reason is the piano
technicians who go to tune them and, since they know nothing about
restoration of vintage instruments, they say it can't be fixed.

I wish I had a nickel for every customer who said to me, "I 've had 4 other
tuners come over and they said it can't be fixed."  I would be well off.  It
would seem that there are a large number of extremely timid or scared tuners
out there who think if they can't do it no one can.  I suggest anyone who
only tunes and does no restoration, Please go find a qualified restoration
shop and send your customers to them.  Don't worry your customer will be
back for your services after the piano is restored and has gotten the first
year of free tunings from the restorer that come with the job.  You will
then have a wonderful piano to tune rather than that victorian beast you
dread right now.  I can say a restoration shop would often prefer not to do
the regular tunings you do so well since we can barely get all  our rebuild
work done.

D.L. Bullock
www.thepianoworld.com