Kranich Bach ache(pitch raise on a century old piano)

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 14:11:53 -0500

Or how 'bout in an open carport under a tarp? Sorry lady, this one is a =
little rough around the edges.....

Actually, as most homes are air conditioned now-a-days, environments are =
not bad. The exception is the very few homes that have no AC, and some =
homes inhabited by very old people - they like it about 90 degrees and =
rarely turn on the AC. When you open the piano and see fuzzy mold =
growing all over the soundboard, that's usually a good clue that you =
might run into a few challenges on that particular piano.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Piannaman@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, January 23, 2004 11:51 AM
  Subject: Re: Kranich Bach ache(pitch raise on a century old piano)

  In a message dated 1/23/04 2:54:45 AM Pacific Standard Time, =
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:=20

    I don't think folks should be so hesitant to raise the pitch of an =
old neglected upright up to A440. I do dozens of 50 to 200 cent pitch =
raises on 80+ year old uprights each year. I don't leave but one or two =
a year below A440.=20

  Terry,=20

  I think you're right.  The condition of the piano tells me that it's =
been in this part of CA all of its life.  Minimal rust and corrosion, =
overall in great shape.  I'll tread less lightly in this realm in the =
future.  You must see all kinds of nasty humidity related rust, =
corrosion, fungus, etc.  I'd hate to see a piano kept in a garage in =
your neck o' the woods!=20

  Dave Stahl