OT: [Fwd: [DISCUSS] MS uses patents to acheive customer lock-in]

Hechler Family dahechler@charter.net
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 21:55:13 -0600

 > Microsoft has filed patent applications in New Zealand and the
European Union

> that cover word processing documents stored in the XML (Extensible Markup
> Language) format. The proposed patent would cover methods for an application
> other than the original word processor to access data in the document.
> The U.S. Patent Office had no record of a similar application.

Basically, MS is trying to patent any means you might use to _extract_ your data
from their proprietary systems and move it to some other non-Microsoft system.

In short, you can *see* your data, you just can't *touch* it without either
using their program or buying a patent license to write a program that can.

Do you think MS will sell a license to OpenOffice or Sun (makers of StarOffice)?

Comments from the sender:
XML is the new way of standardizing document formats that can easily be used across platforms and applications.
This will just force more people into using OpenOffice.
As "Brain" of "Pinky & the Brain" would say "The same thing we do every night, try to take over the world"

---
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Organ, Pump Organ
Tuning, Servicing & Rebuilding
Associate Member of the Piano Technicians Guild
Reed Organ Society Member
St. Louis, MO 63034
(314) 838-5587
dahechler@charter.net