Flange Bushing Cloth

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Sat, 24 Jan 2004 10:39:34 +0100

I ordered it from Renner Germany, I was made aware that the flange
bushing cloth is always pure wool, while the key bushing cloth not
always.
Yes 1.0 is what I use most often.
The pre glued are easy to work with, they dry faster so you can use it
outside shop (and avoid waiting 8 hours to cut the cloth)

We usually ask these jobs to be done by Abel or Renner, they do that
for less money than your time permit, and it is cleaner.

Terry, the pinning plank is simply a "L shaped" support with a little
brass plate with a saw kerfs, or even a vertical wood plank hold in
your usual fixture, with a saw kerf.

This allow to pull straight the center pin, retaining the flange, it
helps for consistency and less effort.
We of course use center pins as reamers after having produced a rough
zone with rolling between 2 medium or fine grit files. Usually the
size goes up by 1 size when roughening.
A yet stated, it is important to work the inside of the flange always
the same direction (the same that was used originally when inserting
pin) , that allow to use "half sizes" when pinning, and keep more
material.

You may order set of flange cloth a Jahn's in Germany if not possible
in the US, I bought mines 8 years ago or more.

The graphite used in Renner's, being highly hygroscopic (was said) may
be help the cloth to accept more moisture, and get thicker in humid
season (side effect or original idea ?)

I see very old Renner pinning that are perfect, and other recent that
are screwed (and the opposite !)

best to all.

Isaac

Best Regards.