Rebuiling uprights/ Have plenty for someone

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 24 Jan 2004 11:52:07 EST

In a message dated 1/24/2004 3:03:02 AM Pacific Standard Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:
Hi Dale,

I own a 189? Steinway upright that has the inner bent/laminated rim that you
speak of. It is awaiting a complete remanufacture. The other upright I have
seen with this type of a rim is the Bush & Lane - quite the monstrous upright.

What is it about the original design/construction of some old Steinway
uprights that some folks feel is less than premium?

Terry Farrell
    Terry
    I really don't get it. It is a premium upright. It's obvious these folks
were trying to build a solid & unique upright piano. Understated elegant case
lines. The plate goes thru to the floor. Big cutoff blocks & a good board
design. The case is so rigid it seems to allow the crown to last tlonger than many
grands but that could also be that the pianos are so closed up and protected
in the front & often times shoved up too close to the wall for air
circulation. My biggest complaint is that they are to closed up to let the sound come out
the front so I always enjoyed playing mine with the lid open.
     When the actions work well & the board is good ,which most are (at least
out here)I've liked most model Ks from the teens &20s immensly. My first
Steinway was a Partially stripped K that had a big sound a very solid feeling
action. You know except for the vertigree what's not to like?
   Dale
 PS  I'd ask 15 K for you upright if it turns out well & the boards good. Is
this the one with cut outs?

Steinway uprights are are different breed & some of the best made. Some of
the 1890s Monsters actually had a laminated soundboard liner similar to the
grands. It was  neatly encased in the cabinet and sourounde the entire board. Huge
cutoff bar. I like the feel of the action. Without the vertigree of course.
Dale Erwin