leveling grand keys/heights

Mike Bratcher MBratPianos@Indy.rr.com
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 10:12:12 -0500

One thing I haven't seen in the replies is, once you put the stack back =
on, if the stack isn't seated properly it can distort the keyframe.

My method always involves bedding the keyframe properly and then seating =
the stack (in the piano).  This takes the error factor out of anything =
below the key.  I also level the keys in the piano, along with dip.

Mike Bratcher

----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alpha88x@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2004 12:06 PM
  Subject: leveling grand keys/heights

  Greetings list,

                   I am doing my very first grand regulation. After =
carefully measuring the felt punchings thickness, I ordered new ones and =
replaced both front and balance rail felt punchings because they were =
shot. I also replaced keytops. The new keytops were .03 thicker than the =
old ones. I knew from the beginning I would have to compensate in the =
regulation for the new key heights, and probably some of the residual =
miscellaneous felt height as well.=20

                   At the job site I put lead weights on the keys' backs =
and levelled the white keys and then set the key dips on the whites as =
well. Then, because I am green at this, I removed the the keyframe from =
it's bed and replaced the stack, screwed it down and when I slid it back =
in, the keys were all different heights(!) What went wrong? Are the keys =
supppose to do this. Are my weights too heavy? Must I consider keyweight =
when leveling keys?=20

  rookie,
  Julia Gottchall,
  Reading, PA