Permanent Soundboard Crown!

Wed, 28 Jan 2004 19:24:28 +0100

Indeed I do !

These guys claim RIB crowning leads to curveacouse permanence !... and
here I thought you needed an operation to fix that trick. I like the
disadvantages bit....   really.... a sheet of paper on a ball.... :)

Farrell wrote:

> Hey Ric, maybe you'll enjoy this one more - it goes even further -
> from the Bluthner web site:
>
> /At the beginning of piano making the soundboard consisted solely of a
> thin wooden board, stiffened with bars glued on the underside and the
> bridges on the upper side. Further development was derived from the
> soundboard of a violin with its spherical crown. However the
> soundboard of a violin is made of a thick piece of wood being shaped
> by grinding, chipping and sanding into its final form./
>
> / /
>
> /A piano soundboard is made from a thin board being bend by force into
> this form. This method however produces disadvantages comparable to
> those which one will experience when you try to put a sheet of paper
> atop a ball./
>
> /Studies made by Bluthner research and development department have
> proven that tensions and compressions develop on the edges that are
> inhomogeneous and not controllable. In contrast, the soundboard that
> Bluthner has developed has a cylindrical curvature so that the tension
> of the soundboard can be exactly defined. The ribs are planed to fit
> the curvature needed and therefore the tension of the soundboard
> remains intact over the decades. In fact, even under difficult
> climatic conditions the curvature will remain in a constant form since
> not only the rib structure will hold it in place but also the red
> beech inner rim is preformed to the correct angle to receive and
> retain the soundboard's curve tension. Because the soundboard is
> pre-stressed in this fashion it can be fitted exactly and _remain
> under curve tension permanently._ The bridge, of course, is adapted to
> the tension and curvature of the soundboard in its optimum position.
> This ensures that string vibrations in their full spectrum are
> transferred to the soundboard. By utilizing the resonating surface,
> the special design of the Bluthner soundboard generates tone
> significantly better. /
>
> Ok, new terms now. "Curve tension" - any engineers out there?

I think you can read tension as <<stress>>. They seem to use the word
thus over here. Clearly they are not pre-stretching the thing and
expecting it to survive the dry central european winters. :)  Looks to
me like one on the rib crowned / beveled rim team. At least thats half
way over in your camp !

Tho... if one first wanted to argue... one would mention that fully
homogeneous and controllable stresses are not nearly the advantage as
rib-crowned enthusiasts would have us believe. Especially when the cost
is the reduction of internal compression so necessary to create that
wonderfully CSB sound. Not that I can really pick sides mind you... I'm
just a poor preachers kid from Montana :)