Rib Thinning

Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:04:02 +0100

Thanks muchly for the advice Ron.

Do I understand you to say that dowels even just through the panel and
bridge are not all that great an idea ? ... or just through the ribs ?

Terry.. here's a few pics.. I have more if you want anything specific..
just hollar. These first two are before taking it out, and ready to put
back in., and the one below is of the new rib pattern.

Cheers
RicB

Overs Pianos wrote:

> Richard,
>
> Terry's posts have been right on the money to date.
>
>>> Hi Ric, sounds like you are moving along nicely on your project. My
>>> understanding is that there are two trains of thought on this issue.
>>>  The first is a perhaps traditional view that suggests the panel
>>> must fit snugly to the edge - I think this is part of the "circle of
>>> sound" thing and reflecting soundwaves or vibrations or whatever.
>>> Like maybe the sound might leak out the edge of the panel? Andre
>>> Bolduc pours fiberglass resin into any gaps between soundboard panel
>>> edge and the inside surface of the outer rim.
>>>  I think some more progressive thinking (IMHO) suggests that all you
>>> need to do is have the edge of the soundboard firmly attached
>>> (glued) to the inner rim. If the edge of the soundboard is
>>> immobilized (glued to the inner rim), you have done all that matters.
>>

> Absolutely. I like to get a close fit between the rim and panel for
> aesthetics, but its structurally unnecessary.
>
>> . . . I havent tried refitting the bridge yet. It had 6 dowel holes
>> that also went through the soundboard. I suppose I am going to have
>> fun getting those right. :)... live and learn.
>

> If the dowels go through the ribs, get rid of them. I recall from
> reading an earlier post of yours on this topic that your board is
> primarily rib crowned. The most effective way to wreck the structural
> integrity of a crowned rib would be to stick a dowel through it. Quite
> a few of the CC brigade (Steinway included) have a habit of doweling
> through each rib - not a good idea, but at least it won't kill a CC
> board stone dead.
>
> The D I'm rebuilding at present had dowels through each rib. But the
> board I'm building for it will be 100% rib crowned with no panel
> compression (just in case you're wondering, yes the panel will be
> laminated). The dowels will be absent. If you do feel compelled to use
> dowels place them between the ribs where the sound board buttons are
> typically placed. At least they won't do any harm there.
>
>> This is great fun btw.  Changes ones perspectives quite a bit. If
>> this works out well.. I may even try my hand at a real panel. Tho
>> somebody is going to have to teach me how to notch a bridge really
>> nicely first... hehe.
>

> Just make up a few dummy bridge sections and do some practice before
> you commit to the real thing. After a bit of practice you will learn
> what not to do. All the best.
>
> Ron O.

--------------090709020502040501070306
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...