baldwin block reaming

Marcel Carey mcpiano@globetrotter.net
Wed, 28 Jan 2004 19:09:03 -0500

OK so here it goes again.

My assistant measured the pins (not all mind you) but he got .282. a week
after removal, I tried a new .282 and it just goes in about halfway with my
hands....

But I know that Baldwin blocks are tricky to bore and repin, but this is
scary. And no, the fire didn't cook the piano that much, but it sure made it
full of soot. Had to sandblast action parts just to have a look at them.

This is a thight budget situation. The customer got the piano for almost
nothing and I don't want to replace this block. It's still in a very good
condition but it will be tricky to repin. The thing is I don't have any
spare to make tests (unless I do them where there are no pins ;-) )

So, what's the original size bit used to bore the Baldwin multi laminated
block ? This is still my question.

Marcel
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Farrell
  Sent: 28 janvier, 2004 18:02
  To: Pianotech
  Subject: Re: baldwin block reaming

  I'm not sure I understand what you are describing Marcel. The tuning pins
at one time were really tight - were they really tight after the fire - they
were still tight? Ok, so we removed them. Now the "original pins do go
through the block after removal. It seems removing the pins really enlarge
the hole...". Are you saying that after removing a tuning pin it will fall
through the hole in the pinblock? I do believe that under normal
circumstances that after removing a tuning pin and trying to re-install it,
one would find that it would have less torque, but it certainly would not
fall through the pinblock. Have you removed the plate? I might be concerned
about the condition of the pinblock - could the fire have baked it in some
unfortunate way? And if the pinblock got hot enough to get damaged, what
about the rest of the piano?????

  Or, maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

  Terry Farrell