Thinning Ribs (Modified by Kent Swafford)

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 10:38:15 -0000

Ric,
Here's a copy/scan of my attempt at clarification.<G> I've drawn in the
cut-off bar and the approximate location of the bridge. My reasoning
for the
cut-off bar is to put the bridge at a more equal distance between the
cutoff
bar and the opposite rim. As the upper treble, on these pianos, is
usually
ethereal/nasal, etc., I am theorizing that too much soundboard in that
area
is partially the cause of this poor sound. The cut-off bar will reduce,
greatly, the amount of soundboard in the direct area of the top treble.
Also, it would help to stiffen the new ribs you've installed, thereby
counteracting the downbearing somewhat. K?
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares Are I