baldwin block reaming

Thu, 29 Jan 2004 13:36:48 -0000

Hello List and Terry F
In your post, Terry, you said: "ream out a couple existing tuning pin =
holes with the same sized drill bit -" In engineering terms a "reamer" =
is a "bit" with longitudinal slightly helical flutes. There are two =
types: the Tapered Reamer and the Straight Reamer - in just the same way =
there are Tapered Taps and Plug Taps in the "tap n' die" world. Are you =
saying that you're using an ordinary drill bit to "ream" out the old pin =
block holes? If so may I put in my English tuppence worth and suggest =
that the drill bit have its outer-edge cutting corners rounded off. This =
way the bit is more likely to follow the hole-bore instead of go off at =
a tangent. Just a thought from my engineering days. The initial hole is, =
of course, drilled with a standard sharpened "bit".
Regards from a sun-drenched (but cold) Sussex Downland village.
Michael G (UK)