Isolated Air Movement, was: Rib Thinning

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 09:51:43 -0500

Ron O. wrote:

"...the primary purpose of the panel is to prevent air leaking past the
ribs."

We all know the acoustic effects of placing a hi-fi speaker on a large panel
or on the panel of a sealed box compared to holding the speaker out in mid
air - especially mid-range and bass speakers. What about holes for nose
bolts through the soundboard and the limited distance from the top of the
soundboard on a grand, around the outside of the outer rim, to the underside
of the soundboard. Surely the two soundboard surfaces are not totally
isolated from one another. Perhaps the distance around the rim is large
enough that soundwaves do not interfere with one another. Perhaps the holes
in the panels are not large enough for a significant amount of air to pass
and cancel out soundwaves. But perhaps there is sound degradation from one
or both of these sources. Any insight into this?

Terry Farrell