Vertical Hammer Replacement

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 11:25:56 EST

        HI Joe
          Yes, AN hour. What I want to know is how long does it take you to
extract an old set of shanks & replace new? This is not part of our original
deal unless the piano is seriously dilapidated & suffered from climactic
degeneration. Those I stay away from. The rule here is the rougher they look the
harder to repair.
   At some point there are just too many time consuming thingees, as you say,
to rebuild on an upright action  & still make a profit & have good out come.
I've decided long ago to stick to restoration & not resurrection.
  Dale
Dale said: "10minutes
   Remove old hammers
        1` minutes
   Shape, bore, prep old shanks
       2 hr."

Dale,
I agree with most of your times, etc. However, the two above concern me.
Remove the hammers in 1 MINUTE!????? I think you might have meant 1 HOUR?
Didja?<G>
The Shape, bore I have no problem with. "prep old shanks"? Unless the piano
is fairly new, shanks need to be replaced! Part of the reason for this is
that the olde shanks are not as flexible as new ones would be. This will
effect the repetition and the sound, IMO.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares Are I