baldwin buzz

D.L.Bullock dlbullock@att.net
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 10:37:59 -0600

From: Dave Nereson [mailto:davner@kaosol.net]
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2004 2:47 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: baldwin buzz

----- Original Message -----
From: <richard.ucci@att.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 6:09 PM
Subject: baldwin buzz
> Hi People,
> Tuned a Baldwin spinet ca. 70's today. Nasty buzzzz and rattle at e,f and
f#
> 3. Checked soundboard -no cracks; tightened soundboard buttons in back;
> nothing interfering with strings; bridge pins tight and not out of place;
> ribs good; nothing stuck in back by soundboard; pushing on bridge and
> soundboard didn't do anything.
> I could use some help on this one.
> Thanks,
> Rick Ucci/Ucci Piano

    There are just so many things it could be.  Check the recent archives
(earlier this week and perhaps last) under "Rubber band sound".   Loose
hardware is notorious, fallboard hardware, hinges, hinge pins, etc.,
casters, loose legs, music rack, loose action bolt nuts, loose anything --
peeling veneer, dried glue squeeze-out, loose bridge pins, strings
contacting edge of notching on the bridge, bottom panel clip, pedal rod pins
buzzing in damper lifter rod hole (no bushings), ad infinitum -- ya just
gotta be a detective and check even the unlikely things.  --David Nereson,
RPT