Chinese Pianos.....arrrgh!

Carl Teplitski koko99@shaw.ca
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 14:16:20 -0600

Watched 60 minutes last night, and the subject was on Chinese manufactureres.
E.G.  golf equipment which carried popular american names, such as" Calaway."
Clubs and bags were made to look very much like the name suggested, but the
quality was missing. A Great Big Bertha driver was cut open and found to be
nothing like its namesake made in the US. Of course it sold for a fraction of the price.
I think the product was called conterfeit manufacture. I have personally encountered
a very nice looking piano locally, which seemed to need much service.
Later I got the impression that it had not been preserviced very well by the dealer who sold it,
but I couldn't tell the retail customer that. Things were out of " whack," and I didn't know
how much work it would take to put it into " whack ".( Not sure what whack means.)
Wondering if  I should have alerted the customer to the responsibility of the dealer to
see that the piano was put into reasonable playing condition, and should still do it. I tried to
get the customer to tell me who the dealer was, but wasn't successful, so it's possible that
the piano was purchased off the back of a truck.  NAAHH!!!
Also, wondering if the quality isn't there, what is in store for this piano, down the road.
By lack of quality, I'm guessing that properly dried wood may not have been used, etc. etc.
Questions ???????????

Carl / Winnipeg