resetting hammer blow line in grands

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 30 Jan 2004 08:01:54 -0500

Many small grands work with a blow distance of 1-3/4" while most medium =
and larger grands work best with something closer to 1-7/8". The key =
here is "works best". You need to experiment and see what kind of key =
dip works with what kind of blow distance - every action is going to =
have some variation in geometry which will affect this relationship. But =
start with the aforementioned and see what kind of dip you end up with - =
do a couple test keys first to evaluate. If you like the dip, stick with =
it. If not change it a bit.

You need to get "The Piano Action Handbook"  http://www.pianotuning.com/ =
 (click on Potter Press Books).  It has original factory specs for most =
pianos you will every run across (yes, even for some pianos that you =
should run across - as in with a paving machine). Factory specs are a =
good place to start - always test a few notes first to see how things =
work out.

If your keys have lost motion, that means your hammer shanks are resting =
on the shank cushion rail (or you've got about 76 grams of friction in =
your wippen flange!). They should be up off the rail - in that position, =
you will not have any lost motion and key heights will be true (not =
necessarily level, but each key will consistently rest at a particular =
height - until, of course, you level them).

Punchings under the key at the center rail pin address key level and =
capstan adjustments address blow distance. Two very different things =
that affect one another. Read Roger Jolly's Journal articles on =
"Interactive Regulation".

Have fun with your adventure! One word of advice I can lend you is to do =
your first (and second and third and.....) action regulation in your own =
home or shop - not in the customer's home. I am still on a steep =
learning curve when I comes to action regulation. I get so much benefit =
from taking my time in the privacy of my shop experimenting with "what =
happens when I do this or that". IMHO, a unhurried private environment =
is paramount to successful early action regulations!

Terry Farrell

  ----- Original Message -----=20