AWG vs. Music Wire Size

Alpha88x@aol.com Alpha88x@aol.com
Fri, 30 Jan 2004 09:41:13 EST

greetings,

              When I look in a McMaster Carr catalog I see that .031 diameter
wire (ASTM A228 spring carbon steel wire which the catalog refers to as music
wire) is 20AWG. However, in the Schaff catalog .031 diameter is size 13. Why
are music wire sizes different from AWG?

               Is it just that Piano supply houses want to confuse us tuners
into purchasing their wire at nearly three times the price or what? Has anyone
ever ordered wire from another (cheaper) source than the piano supply houses?

rookie,
Julia Gottchall,
Reading, PA