No downbearing ? REVISITED

Fri, 30 Jan 2004 07:25:52 -0800

The transfer of vibrations happens due to the coupling of the string to the bridge, not due to any downward pressure of the strings onto the bridge.  That coupling is achieved by the interlocking of the string through the bridge pins .  Whether or not you have downbearing will not influence this coupling.  The downbearing effects the amount of downward pressure on the soundboard.  When the board is compressed it gets stiffer.  The more stiff it is, the greater the impedance (the panel's tendency to resist the transfer of vibrational energy).  The treble end of the board needs to be stiffer than the bass area.  The relative narrowness of the board in the treble region combined with more downbearing at that end produces more stiffness.  The measured bearing can be confusing because you set the bearing with the board only minimally compressed (or not compressed at all depending on your technique).  The amount of measurable bearing after the board is strung and loaded will be different than before it is strung.  You can't really tell after the board is strung and loaded what the bearing was at the outset.  The tone of the board will be influenced by the board's response to this downward pressure and whether it achieves through design and execution the proper impedance characteristics throughout the scale.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

----- Original Message -----
From: David Skolnik
To: Pianotech
Sent: 1/30/2004 3:10:21 AM
Subject: Re: No downbearing ? REVISITED

Almost one month ago, this a question regarding downbearing was raised:

At 04:09 PM 12/31/2003 +0100, Jean-Jacques Granas wrote:

I have come across a puzzling suggestion a few weeks ago: Namely, that downbearing is not really necessary in order to transfer the vibration of the string to the soundboard panel, the mere "grip" that the string has on the bridge being sufficient to assure this transfer. Would anyone of you with experience in such issues care to comment?