Recoating sharps

Alpha88x@aol.com Alpha88x@aol.com
Fri, 30 Jan 2004 17:53:51 EST

greetings,

             I have an old Becker Brothers made in 1903 (I named her "Becky")
upright that I just love the sound of. I also have a newer Yamaha U3. The
Becker I wore out playing and playing it all the way up to and through piano
lessons (10 years). I just cannot seem to part with the old clunker. It has a deep
rich bass tone that the Yamaha just doesnt have.

              SO...since I am going to keep "Becky" and she getting TLC some
new felts/cloth and regulations and tunings and its not a customer's piano, I
experimented with her black keys.

              I took all the blacks, sanded them by taping sand paper to my
workbench and evenly sanding the tops, fronts and sides, (they were not ebony
to begin with, just wood) dusted them off, hung them up on a washline by using
the capstan with bent paperclips (or one can use wire), and I spray painted
them with Valspar brand flat black spray paint in a can that I got at Lowes.

               Dry, I took them down and used an old cotton t-shirt and
polished/ burnished them. They look and feel great. They got like a satiny finish.
They were chalky black at first when dry, but the burnishing with the cloth
did the trick. I am into paint and "Becky" isn't going anywhere. This is
probably why I attempted this. Just my two cents.

rookie,
Julia Gottchall
Reading, PA