No downbearing ? REVISITED

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Fri, 30 Jan 2004 20:50:57 -0500

David Skolnik wrote:

> John's response is, I think, unintentionally misleading. He first
> suggests that Jean-Jacques's  statement is correct, but then immediately
> attributes to downbearing the [important?]ability of controlling "the
> rate at which the vibrations move from the strings into soundboard". If
> there is a point of differentiation to be made here, it seems
> inordinately subtle, compared to the resulting impression conveyed that
> downbearing is not an essential component in piano design and
> engineering. Unless that is the meaning that is intended!?

David,

If a piano has no down bearing the vibrations of the strings will still
find their way into the soundboard. People often have the wrong notion
that down bearing helps to get the vibrations into the soundboard by the
simple act of pressing the string down on the bridge, as if that force
would help to make a better connection - like some sort of electrical
connection. I was pointing out that down bearing is an indirect effect.
Down bearing is one of many factors that control the rate at which the
vibrations in the string will flow into the soundboard. It does this by
altering the impedance of the soundboard in relation to the vibrating
string. It is not a note by note or a string by strings effect. If many
strings bear down on the soundboard the apparent stiffness of the
soundboard and bridges will increase. Then a vibrating string will lose
energy through the bridge into the soundboard at a somewhat slower rate.
  More of the energy will bounce off the bridge back into the string.

So I stand by my statement that down bearing is not necessary in order
have the vibrations in the string transfer into the soundboard. And
Jean-Jacques is right in saying that "the mere "grip" that the string
has on the bridge being sufficient to assure this transfer." That grip
provided by the side bearing of the strings through the staggered bridge
pins.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin