No downbearing ? REVISITED

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 30 Jan 2004 22:12:58 -0500

"Do Bechsteins have a down bearing? Do they have a crowned rib or a flat =
rib?"

I have a Bechstein in my shop with prominent "S"-shaped ribs!

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Michael Gamble=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Friday, January 30, 2004 12:15 PM
  Subject: Fw: No downbearing ? REVISITED

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Michael Gamble=20
  To: Corina Gamble=20
  Sent: Friday, January 30, 2004 4:18 PM
  Subject: Re: No downbearing ? REVISITED

  Hello List - and David S
  You asked for thoughts and I suppose the most immediate thought must =
be that one cocerning "leakage" into the string on the other side of the =
bridge - the hitch end. In S&S this length is used to promote a sort of =
"aliquot". Therefore to promote this there has to be leakage. Right? =
Another thought springs to mind and that is of "false" strings. This is =
when a single string out of a tri-cord exhibits a "beat". This falseness =
can frequently be corrected by a slight tap on the offending string as =
it passes onto the bridge - thus confirming something! This is =
predominately to be found in the Bechstein pianos. Do Bechsteins have a =
down bearing? Do they have a crowned rib or a flat rib? The angle at =
which the bridge pins enter the bridge will grip the string anyway. In =
fact on some Harpsichords there tend to be a Negative Bearing!!!! The =
strings only being held in place by the opposing captivating angles of =
the two bridge pins past which the string passes. Just more thoughts...
  From an evening in Sussex I say... t.t.f.n. and T.G.I.F.
  Michael G (UK)