No downbearing ? REVISITED

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sat, 31 Jan 2004 10:07:16 -0600

>To simplify things a bit, can we agree to acknowledge, then ignore the
>fact that we cannot determine the original bearing set up from measuring
>the strung piano? Why does there appear to be this growing consensus that
>these "after stringing" measurements are deceptive, confusing, and of no
>value?

In my experience, this attitude comes mostly from manufacturer
representatives who don't care to acknowledge even the remote possibility
that there might be a problem with their soundboards. The condition of the
bearing and crown with the existing piano still strung and up to pitch, and
how it sounds, are the only indicators I know as to what shape the
soundboard is in and what load it is capable of supporting. A soundboard in
an un-strung piano will tell me comparatively very little of any use.

>Whether or not the board is being compressed  (i.e. stiffened) by one area
>of the string scale, if I get readings showing zero or negative
>downbearing in a section of the piano, is it to be dismissed because there
>is downbearing SOMEWHERE on the board?

Remember the old joke about the guy who was under the street light at the
intersection looking for a quarter he had dropped in the middle of the
block because the light was better here? When you have a killer octave that
sounds lousy, and you have negative crown and bearing in the same area, how
can the fact that there is crown and/or bearing in some other part of the
board make up for that? This idea seems to come entirely from folks who
don't build soundboards - or from manufacturers or their representatives.
People who don't build soundboards and don't know any better believe
information from what they think is an authoritative source. We all do this
until, mostly by our own efforts, we learn different. Most folks who
measure crown at all (most don't), do so only at the longest rib. I have
heard and read "measure crown along the longest rib" at least once a year
for as long as I have been in this business. If you want some overall idea
of the load capacity and condition of the soundboard, measure crown and
bearing over the entire scale. Actually, it might be better stated that
crown and bearing is of importance only in areas of the scale where the
piano is actually played.

>With regard to transfer of vibrations, can you, David, or anyone else,
>direct me to recent discussion that supports this view of the irrelevance
>of downbearing in this process?  (I will scan the past years posts if you
>cannot.)  If such is, in fact, the case, and if you could create the
>hypothetical soundboard with sufficient stiffness WITHOUT employing
>downbearing's compressive function, is there, in your opinion, ANY aspect
>of the mechanical transfer of energy from string to bridge ( & board) via
>bridge pin, that would suffer in the absence of such downbearing?

I can't direct you to a discussion, but if a board can be made stiff enough
without becoming too massive in the process, I see no reason why a flat
board with zero bearing wouldn't work quite nicely. The coupling comes from
the bridge pins (or agraffes). The crown and bearing supply added stiffness
without adding mass to the assembly in a "conventional" soundboard.

Ron N