[Files] FW: Kranich & Bach (Modified by Kent Swafford)

Joey Recker joey@onkeypianotuning.com
Sat, 31 Jan 2004 12:39:44 -0500

Today I was called upon to look at a 1917 (SN: 58560) Kranich & Bach
Upright. (See K&B.jpg)

I'm still new at this but, to me at least, this was a very interesting
piano.  The mounting of the action was very unique.  Took me a minute
to figure out how to remove it.

After looking at the action I noticed that the flanges have what
appears to be washers under the screw head...  not sure why.  (see
flange.jpg)

The damper flanges also have the washers and are curved to allow easy
access to the flange screw.  (see damper.jpg)

The Soft pedal actuates a lever by lifting up as usual (soft1.jpg), but
when it is lifted, it pivots the bottom of the hammer rest rail outward
to move the hammers closer to the strings instead of moving the whole
rail.  Further down the rail (about 2/3's of the way) there is a screw
with a spring going into the action bracket which pulls the rail back
to the rest position.  From what I can tell this seems to induce almost
no lost motion when using the soft pedal.

You can see overall that the action is very moth eaten and all the felt
is in very poor shape (I don't know how, but it actually sounded
great!).

Can anyone tell me more about this piano or this style of action?

Joey Recker
Plains, Georgia

Photos at:

https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/files/attachments/d5/47/16/b4/KB.jpg