Werzen/Ronsen hammer update

Tompiano@aol.com Tompiano@aol.com
Tue, 1 Jun 2004 07:20:08 EDT

In a message dated 5/31/2004 11:09:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Erwinspiano@aol.com writes:
Can you tell me how the Werzen hammer compares to Abel and Renner blues ? Or
have you used those before ? I am not familiar with Werzen, what are their
origins, pedigree and outlets ? Can you get them prehung ?
Dan,
I personally like Abel hammers, as I have probably installed about a 7 dozen
on various instruments (from concert pianos to small grands). I have been
using them since Wally Brooks first started selling them in the mid 1990's. They
voice out quite nicely and are an easy hammer to maintain on the stage. Voicing
stays rather predictably.
That being said, I have noticed that the hammers have been showing up in the
raw stage much harder then I remember in years past. Now the hammers sound
closer to the Yamaha hammers right out of the box. So there's quite a bit of
preparation needling just to get one in the ballpark.
The Wurtzen felt is entirely a different animal all together. It is used with
minimal heat, says Ray Negron from Ronsen, and the material is like nothing
else we have had available for our industry in sometime. This appears to be the
same material the older Steinways and better pianos used during the turn of
the century. And we can determine by all the older Steinways and Mason &
Hamlins, how nice of sound those hammers delivered even after 80 years.
Ronsen will custom make your hammers with your pick of wood. I have picked
the soft maple because it's lighter and I don't want to add any touch issues
into the mix.
The last 2 sets put the touch weight in the mid -to high 40's with a nice
upweight.
Preparation: for a large piano I'm sure you are going to need some juicing on
both extremes of the keyboard. Normal hammer filing, good hammer/string fit,
and some light needling and you are in business.
Wait till you hear the expansive sound these hammer generate. You won't
believe it!

Renner Blues: I do not like these hammers nor can I recommend them. I live in
S. Florida and I have installed 10 sets in the past. Each and every set has
pulled completely apart within 5 years after installation. And that is with
humidity control devices installed.
Has anyone else had that experience with the Renner Blues?

Tom Servinsky