One pass Large Pitch Raises Safe?

Carl Meyer cmpiano@comcast.net
Tue, 1 Jun 2004 09:03:29 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew & Rebeca Anderson" <anrebe@zianet.com>
To: <davidlovepianos@earthlink.net>; "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, May 31, 2004 7:45 PM
Subject: One pass Large Pitch Raises Safe?

> I've been following a discussion regarding a large pitch-raise of 100
cents
> or more being done in one pass.  Is this safe?  Do you run the risk of
> damaging a plate by, say, concentrating tension in one area as you begin
> pull the pitch up.  I'm not talking about strings which are risky in their
> own way.  I've understood that when there is such a large tension
> adjustment to be made that it is safer to spread it out as octaves, such
as
> all the A's then all of the E's then all of the C's, then fill in the rest
> after which you do a fine tune.  Am I being overly cautious?

Actually, that is the way I've always done it.  I'm not an aural tuner, but
I do use my ears.

First I set "A4" at 11 cents sharp using the accutuner.  Then I tune  by
octaves (all strings) toward the treble and then to the bass by ear.  The
ear gives a sort of stretch.  Next set "A#4" to 10 cents sharp and repeat
the sequence till you get to "G#5".  For a nominal pitch raise this gets you
close.  I suppose for the serious 100+ pitch raise you could use 22 cents to
start, but I've usually just used 11 cents.  I don't do much tuning or pitch
raising but this works for me.

Carl Meyer Ptg assoc
Santa Clara, Ca.