Hammer technique for 7' grands

Thomas Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Tue, 01 Jun 2004 11:54:34 -0700

I've noticed this problem on similar pianos. The tuning is very
difficult until you get to the capo bar area, then suddenly it becomes
easy. I normally use a similar approach to tuning but when you have
intractable pianos such as you describe, it serves you well to have a
number of tuning hammer techniques in your arsenal.

It seems to happen where the strings are rusty in the area between the
tuning pins and the agraffes which has increased the friction between
the strings and the counterbearing cloth. There may also be some
frictional problems going through the agraffes due to the rust.

As Paul suggested, soaking a little Protek in this area can help some
(but I would caution against silicone). Nothing short of restringing
will do a whole lot of good, IMO.

Tom Cole