One pass Large Pitch Raises Safe?

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Tue, 1 Jun 2004 22:29:36 -0500

I've pitched raised scores, yea, even hundreds (1000s?), of pianos in the
last 25 years, always working from one end to the other, pulling up every
string as I go. Never had any problems (except for breaking strings on a
handful), though in the beginning I was always scarred to death to do so.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Andrew & Rebeca Anderson
Sent: Monday, May 31, 2004 9:45 PM
To: davidlovepianos@earthlink.net; Pianotech
Subject: One pass Large Pitch Raises Safe?

I've been following a discussion regarding a large pitch-raise of 100 cents
or more being done in one pass.  Is this safe?  Do you run the risk of
damaging a plate by, say, concentrating tension in one area as you begin to
pull the pitch up.  I'm not talking about strings which are risky in their
own way.  I've understood that when there is such a large tension
adjustment to be made that it is safer to spread it out as octaves, such as
all the A's then all of the E's then all of the C's, then fill in the rest
after which you do a fine tune.  Am I being overly cautious?

Andrew