liftrod lubricant

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Wed, 02 Jun 2004 07:08:44 -0400

Friends,

I seem to be full of questions right now.  <G>

You may know what I'm referring to if I mention "crunchy snow."  I heard
this used to describe those many tiny ticks that occur almost
simultaneously in an upright piano from friction between the liftrod and
the felt on the damper lever tails, as the sustain pedal is depressed.
I have a job coming up next week where I need to solve this problem.
What do you do or use?

I haven't done this in a while, but I used to take the liftrod out of
the action and use a graphite spray, then burnish it and replace, and
that worked great, even though it turned the liftrod gray.  But I can't
find the stuff now.  I may have used it up.  Maybe the hardware stores
have it -- I don't know.  In any case, what do you recommend?  I want a
permanent fix.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger