What the??!!!!!!!!/keypin sizes

Jon Ralinovsky ralinoj@muohio.edu
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 17:09:57 -0700

Hi Joe,
I believe that the size of the key pins is a result of choosing the
size for the mortises. In the case of the .144" (or .146") balance
rail pins, if you add .100" for 2 pieces of medium thickness bushing
cloth and .004" for play, you get .250" (a convenient size to make
the mortises - .250" drill/router bits are easy to find) and a
relatively nice fit. I'm not sure about the .133" pins, but there's
probably a metric equivalent.

Respectfully,
Jon