Apart at the Seams

Dave Bunch pdtek@mchsi.com
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 16:42:14 -0500

Hello all;

Being called to tune Baldwin vertical today, I came across a good reason =
NOT to tune the piano today.

Not sure of the model, it was not a 243. It was close to console height =
with a studio size action and keys built lower at the rear to compensate =
for the difference. First thing I noticed were hammers sitting way up =
off the hammer rail. Then noticed that the piano was not only a half =
step flat but very unevenly flat. Then I noticed some splintered wood =
behind the felt covering the pinblock. I peeled back some felt and found =
that the top of the piano had pulled away from the second and third back =
posts from the treble end. The top of the posts were protruding out the =
back a good third of an inch. I sighted down the top front edge of the =
plate and could see a prominent bulge forward in the area consistent =
with the damage.

I have done several repairs on old verticals where the pinblock is =
gaping open. Fill it with glue and put long bolts all the way through as =
substitutes for the plate bolts, but this is different. Is there a good, =
permanent repair for this? The piano is only 15 years old. Anyone seen =
this? The posts struck me as being very light weight.

Dave Bunch