U1 hammer butt problem

Pianotunaguy@aol.com Pianotunaguy@aol.com
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 22:17:33 EDT

I recently re-flanged my U1 due to bobbling hammers caused by the silk thread
which holds the hammer butt spring being broken on about half the flanges.
Since that day, I have a new problem with the piano: the jack gets caught
under the hammer butt on rapidly repeated notes and blocks the hammer to the
strings.   This happens on about 10 to 15 hammers in the middle of the keyboard.

I checked the backchecks and the hammers are checking at 5/8".   I checked
the lost motion and there was enough to allow the hammers to move back with the
hammer rail when pulled away from the strings.   There is enough dip to allow
the jack to letoff.

The piano does get a lot of use; I teach 15 students/week on that piano.
The piano is about 30 years old and these are the original butts.   So I could
imagine that the butts have finally worn to the point that there is a dent or
something catching the jack under the butt.   I thought the next thing I would
try is to apply Teflon powder to the butts.   (And remove one and take a good
look at one...)

But it seems unlikely that this problem didn't exist and then all of a sudden
15 of them all develop this problem at the same time.   Am I missing
something?   Can anyone offer me some advice?

Thanks
PianoTunaGuy