Apart at the Seams

Richard Snelson rsnelson0984@mchsi.com
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 21:39:33 -0500

Did one (Baldwin) like this late last year. Took the top of the back =
apart cleaned out the glue, and reglued it. Used bolts in place of the =
screws, going through and setting the nuts in holes on the back of the =
posts. I was able to pry the whole thing apart with a wood chisel before =
starting. Of course I lowered the tension before starting. Purchased a =
2"+ piece of hardwood to make new struts between the posts. Take the =
piano to my shop for the work. Both owners were glad to have their =
pianos back in a better than new condition. Sound like a lot of work, =
but goes fast once you have done one.=20
Rich

This was the second one like this that I had done.=20
Richard Snelson
rsnelson0984@mchsi.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Dave Bunch=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 4:42 PM
  Subject: Apart at the Seams

  Hello all;

  Being called to tune Baldwin vertical today, I came across a good =
reason NOT to tune the piano today.

  Not sure of the model, it was not a 243. It was close to console =
height with a studio size action and keys built lower at the rear to =
compensate for the difference. First thing I noticed were hammers =
sitting way up off the hammer rail. Then noticed that the piano was not =
only a half step flat but very unevenly flat. Then I noticed some =
splintered wood behind the felt covering the pinblock. I peeled back =
some felt and found that the top of the piano had pulled away from the =
second and third back posts from the treble end. The top of the posts =
were protruding out the back a good third of an inch. I sighted down the =
top front edge of the plate and could see a prominent bulge forward in =
the area consistent with the damage.

  I have done several repairs on old verticals where the pinblock is =
gaping open. Fill it with glue and put long bolts all the way through as =
substitutes for the plate bolts, but this is different. Is there a good, =
permanent repair for this? The piano is only 15 years old. Anyone seen =
this? The posts struck me as being very light weight.

  Dave Bunch