Apart at the Seams

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 21:54:23 -0500

Dave,

I just finished a repair on a similar Baldwin this week.   This one had a drop action, serial number put it around 1964.  Backposts and spacer blocks light gage softwood, and the damage was about what you described.  Started by droppping pitch by turning each pin 30 degrees.  Then used clamps (Pony pipe clamps) to close up the separation as much as possible.  The separation did not close completely, I'd say there was still about .10" gap at the two worst backposts.  Drilled through for bolts, I use 5/16 x 6" flat-head machine screws from boltdepot.com.  Becasue of the severe separation, and the less-than-substantial design, I also drilled and dowelled the pinblock to the backposts.  Start the drill at the top front of the pinblock, right behind the plate.  Aim the drill downward about 30 degrees below horizontal ( try not to hit any tuning pins).    Poured a bunch of West System epoxy into the voids.  I usually drill downward into the cracks with a 1/8" drill every inch or two to make a channel for the epoxy to get down into the bottom of the crack, but for much of this piano that wasn't necessary.  Eventually it stopped drinking epoxy, and I went away to let it cure over the weekend.   Pitch-raise and tuning yesterday indicate that the piano is very stiff and stable, at least for now.  Only time will tell how permanent the condition will be.

hope this helps

Mike

----- Original Message -----
From: Dave Bunch
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 6/2/2004 4:42:24 PM
Subject: Apart at the Seams

Hello all;

Being called to tune Baldwin vertical today, I came across a good reason NOT to tune the piano today.

Not sure of the model, it was not a 243. It was close to console height with a studio size action and keys built lower at the rear to compensate for the difference. First thing I noticed were hammers sitting way up off the hammer rail. Then noticed that the piano was not only a half step flat but very unevenly flat. Then I noticed some splintered wood behind the felt covering the pinblock. I peeled back some felt and found that the top of the piano had pulled away from the second and third back posts from the treble end. The top of the posts were protruding out the back a good third of an inch. I sighted down the top front edge of the plate and could see a prominent bulge forward in the area consistent with the damage.

I have done several repairs on old verticals where the pinblock is gaping open. Fill it with glue and put long bolts all the way through as substitutes for the plate bolts, but this is different. Is there a good, permanent repair for this? The piano is only 15 years old. Anyone seen this? The posts struck me as being very light weight.

Dave Bunch