U1 hammer butt problem

Pianotunaguy@aol.com Pianotunaguy@aol.com
Thu, 3 Jun 2004 20:48:49 EDT

In a message dated 6/3/04 10:22:37 AM, roger.j@sasktel.net writes:

> Do you have sufficient after touch?=A0 If the hammers
> have been filed, and the back rail has not been corrected, (46mm blow if m=
> memory is correct).=A0 This can be the cause of the problem.=A0 Dip should=
 be=20
> 10mm.
> =A0 Key level through the centre section will also give the same problem.
> Are the length of the loops the same as the old loops?=A0 This can
> significantly alter the spring tension.
>=20

Thanks to all for your great suggestions.   Roger, you've given me a few=20
things to check.   There IS enough after touch, but I wonder if the loops ar=
e the=20
same size.   They were certainly made of a different material, much thicker=20=
in=20
diameter than the old loop.   I did move the hammer rail forward to the spec=
s=20
in the little blue book by Potter, but I don't recall the distance.   I also=
=20
levelled the keys and set the dip all to the specs listed in that book.  =20

I just have the gut feeling that this is caused by something that I changed,=
=20
and not just wear and tear.   After all, this problem appeared en masse from=
=20
the moment I put it all back together.

PTG (PianoTunaGuy)