Yamaha Butt Spring Cords Replacement

Robert J Russell brjr@sbcglobal.net
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 19:36:28 -0700 (PDT)

List, sometimes letting the problem continue isn't just a repetition problem. Many times the butt springs can be damaged when  they get in the way of the hammer shank travel. Then you have a small job turn into a very large job.
Bob Russell, RPT

Joseph Garrett <joegarrett@earthlink.net> wrote:
You all have been yakking about this problem and I've been sitting back, not
responding, because I've never run into this before. Well....today, tuned
for a long time client with a Yamaha Console, built in 1970. Tuned almost
the entire piano and your butt spring cord posts flashed before my eyes,
which prompted me to check. Aha! this piano had 46 broken cords! The really
weird thing is that it is not apparent to either me or my client, who plays
very well, (as does his daughter). The repetition does not seem to be
affected in any way!
On closer examination I observered that the action "set up" is such that it
is "tipped" to compensate for the lack of any real "assist" that stupid
spring might give! At hammer contact, the hammer is just barely past
vertical center. I surmise that the hammer resilience/rebound brings it back
past center, allowing gravity to do the work. Just my thoughts on this. On
my suggestion, the client will not have me do the cord replacement, unless
it becomes a problem.
Just some thoughts on this.
BTW, this is one item that is not in my "Repair Labor Guide". I would be
interested to have anyone, that has done this job, email me privately,
regarding the time necessary to accomplish this repair. I, only ask, that
you be honest. Please don't let your ego get in the way of what the "actual
times" are/were. I'll compile the info and add it to the next edition.
(averages are what it's all about. So's it's fair.)
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares Are I