Bubble gage

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 22:41:34 -0700

>>   It seems to
>>me that if you choose the amount of bearing you want to put on your board,
>>then the ideal way to put it on would be with front scale and back scale
>>forming the same angle to the bridge, so that forces on the bridge at its
>>front face and back face are the same.  If they are not the same, then it
>>seems there is the potential over time to roll the bridge.
>
>I don't think that typically has anything to do with bridge roll,
>which is essentially soundboard structural failure.

I see.  Maybe you can expand on that.  What I'm picturing is the
curved bridge with string load which overloads the board in that
section of the bridge with the most severe curvature.  The bridge is
being pushed down in that area, but is still being supported at its
ends, so as it is being pushed down it has no choice but to twist
(roll).  Am I picturing this the way that you would?

>>Explain to me the
>>>process of using the stick.
>>  >
>>  >Ron N
>>

>>Well, first you walk softly .....
>>
>>Phil Ford
>
>Speak softly, maybe?
>
>Ron N

Right you are.  Speak softly and carry a big downbearing stick -
Teddy Roosevelt.

Phil F