Caracas Steinway

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Mon, 07 Jun 2004 20:47:53 +0200

He you gurus,
Everybody but Ric was wrong on this one.
This S&S mod A 1891 was a Hamburg one, following S&S archives.  Though, it has 3 pedals, not 2.  And the arms are exactly the same as those seen on S&S NY website (see attached pic).

S&S customer service wrote :

According to our records this piano is a model A grand, 85 notes, in ebony finish. It was manufactured in our Hamburg factory on June 9, 1891 and sold to Heny in Caracas.

Marge
Customer Service

TP wrote :

The A you describe if the serial number is correct would be a 6' round
tail A made in 1891.  The shape of the arm in New York at that period
was a rounded arm.   Check the case cabinet wood material.  Most of the
A's from New York would have been rosewood or ebony.  It is most likely
New York because it would have been closer. Hope the serial number is
wrong and you have a 6'4" A  TP

Phil Ford wrote :

If you'd prefer to guess, I'll give you this hint -  Steinways of this age:
2 pedals - Hamburg, 3 pedals - NY.

Phil Ford

Richard Brekne a écrit :

> One dead give away is the front sides.  Are they squared off or nicely
> rounded ?  Squared off is NY.
>
> RicB
>
> Stéphane Collin wrote:
>
>> One more stupid newbee question.
>>
>> Have that Steinway serial #70633 model A just coming from Caracas.
>> How do I know if it is a New-York Setinway, or a Hamburg Steinway ?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Stéphane Collin.

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: s&s arms.jpg