Kimball Grand Damper Problems

Avery Todd avery@ev1.net
Mon, 07 Jun 2004 17:35:51 -0500

Rick.

The customer's original email is below.

>"I have a 1973 Kimball 5'8" grand that has damper problems.  Tha last time
>I had it tuned, a couple of years ago, the tuner said the condition could
>not be corrected - that the hammers were too light to dampen the strings--
>but I want a second opinion.

The hammer weight has absolutely nothing to do with the dampers damping!
Just another
tooner who didn't know how to correct the problem and was doing the CYA
thing! :-)

>I think the problem has been caused by my playing frequently with the soft
>pedal engaged - a habit I got into while practicing in a tiny cubicle when
>in school -- many years ago.

I can't even imagine that being the problem, either. It's usually either
the dampers
lifting too soon in relation to the keys, or there not being enough play in
the pedal
so that the dampers are not coming fully to rest on the strings.

>The piano has had very little use"

That also shouldn't have anything to do with the problem you mention. :-)

>Rick Bazemore

Avery